Rare Earth Metals

multiple upgrades to weapons would be cool is if they used an upgrading system that required "rare earth elements" to upgrade. You could collect the elements either from dead zombies, or dead bosses and used those with the PaP machine to create different weapons with very different attributes. Like using different elements, 115 or anything else. It could make the weapon more powerful or extend ammo capacity but reduce power or add firepower but reduce ammo capacity. Those sorts of things. I'd imagine it would make the scavenge for elements to constantly be upgrading your arsenal fun and change up the gameplay. A shotgun that can shoot fire rounds or freezing rounds depending on the earth metal you use. I think this could be a really good next step to the PaP machine.

Scandium- Allows for faster movement speed

Yttrium- Weapons do radioactive damage, so after a zombie is shot, it starts to become infected with radiation, and slowly dies, with vomiting, and turning yellow, before their heads blow up. As rounds go on, zombies become immune to radiation, and it takes more for them to die.

Lanthanum- makes player harder to be noticed by zombies while wielding the weapon

Cerium- Weapons do fire damage when shot, so zombies take more damage after being shot for a short period of time.

Praseodymium- Gives the player x-ray vision when aiming down sight, with increased penetration.

Neodymium- Gives off ultra-violent rays, which damage zombies close to the player.

Promethium- Gives the weapon electrical damage, which damages and slows down zombies.

Samarium- Weapon has laser targeting, with reduced recoil, so aiming down the sights is unnecesary

Europium- Any zombies shot with this will take longer to attack you in close range, and will never double swipe.

Gadolinium- Zombies shot will stay close together, and will never group away.

Holmium- All shots from the weapon do 'laser' damage, which makes it a lot more powerful, and can create crawlers.

Lutetium- Weapon beeps very loudly when zombies are close and behind the player.

Erbium- Gives the player increased health(By one hit)

Thulium- All damage goes straight through zombies, and doesn't lose damage as it travels through zombies or objects.

Ytterbium- Special zombies shot will lose their ability, and become normal zombies

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would really open up gameplay mechanics that could allow for multiple uses for one gun. Like a sniper rifle that would shoot a round that blows up and freezes enemies or blows up and starts enemies on fire. Just imagine every gun being able to be different, you literally wouldn't need wonder weapons because you could make all your weapons, wonderful :)

They could also have a vending machine that sells these elements and you can use them on any weapon. They would obviously be expensive since China doesn't sell things cheap :)

It would need some really good balance so it doesn't ruin the balance that is already in it. Maybe have it where you can't upgrade your gun to an elemental weapon until you pack a punch it normally first. Then only when you have a pack a punch weapon in your inventory can you receive an earth metal drop from bosses (common every other kill/first kill), hellhounds (uncommon), or extremely rare (every 5-7 rounds) from a normal zombie. Then you can do like with the vril device on Moon and put it in a little floaty thing and when you pack a punch the weapon again, it drains the power from the earth metal causing it to disappear, and is added to your weapon. I think that would be MUCH better than just "Hey Treyarch, get it where we can pack a punch a weapon again".

I'm not pretty sure if they implemented this idea they would find a way to balance it. To me it would add an extra layer to power ups/objectives without changing the horde mode main objective, survive.

There are numerous ways this could be balance but it all depends on exactly what they have in place at the moment and how this would change that. I am sure they have made changes to the game but who knows if they are anything like this.

I will dream 8-)

I'm not pretty sure if they implemented this idea they would find a way to balance it. To me it would add an extra layer to power ups/objectives without changing the horde mode main objective, survive.

There are numerous ways this could be balance but it all depends on exactly what they have in place at the moment and how this would change that. I am sure they have made changes to the game but who knows if they are anything like this.

I will dream 8-)

Well they could make it cost about 10k points as well. An extra pack a punch with a beefy little weapon mod would make for quite the weapon so I figure it wouldn't be easy to get.

Oh definitely, in reality it would help weapons an extra kick in the higher rounds where you are going to have the cash to use these elements. Having a vending machine that sells them or like I said picking them up from the undead

Given my drop rate (assuming people think its fair), after you pack a punched a weapon (say round 10 on kino) then it would either be the next dogs round (11-13 at a 50% chance) or round 15-17 before you even get an elemental drop. Depending on how many are in the game then it might not even be the one you wanted. I see that as pretty fair since I hardly ever PaP before 25 unless its the ballistic knife then I try to PaP it asap.

Possible elements courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element

Scandium- makes your weapon light as a pistol, if weapon is already at the minimum weight, adds ammo

Yttrium- adds damage in the form of radiation. 50% chance of reducing ammo capacity by 5%

Lanthanum- makes player harder to be noticed by zombies while wielding the weapon

Cerium- slows zombies down by infusing your weapon with the power of nature

Praseodymium- may add electric or fire based damage to your weapon

Neodymium- makes it easier for your character to attract zombies

Promethium- adds ammo

Samarium- increases the drop rate of power ups

Europium- causes the zombies you kill with this weapon to have a slightly increased respawn time

Gadolinium- decreases recoil

Holmium- reduces the cost of the box by 50 points

Lutetium- crawlers you create will always be slow

Erbium- infuses your weapon with a health boosting attribute at the cost of reduced speed (the negative effect can only be taken away with stamin-up)

Well seeing as how we call them rare earth metals, those are the ones that exist so I tried to go for the real world part of it. I based the powers off of what they do in real life although I had to stretch it on a couple of them based on what they are used for, but with the power of 115 anything is possible.

Well seeing as how we call them rare earth metals, those are the ones that exist so I tried to go for the real world part of it. I based the powers off of what they do in real life although I had to stretch it on a couple of them based on what they are used for, but with the power of 115 anything is possible.

Agreed, I just think for the random player the names might become a little bit too confusing. Maybe using a numbering system for those elements would work better but other than that it's always good basing science fiction off from science fact :)