Oliver North: New Zombie Character?

Oliver North is rumored to play some role in Black Ops 2 but who is he?

Here is a brief summary of North's notable features from Wikipedia:

Oliver Laurence North (born October 7, 1943) is a former Marine Corps officer, political commentator, host of War Stories with Oliver North on Fox News Channel, a military historian, a New York Times best-selling author, and a convicted felon. His felonies were reversed on a technicality with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

North was at the center of national attention during the Iran-Contra affair, a political scandal of the late 1980s. North was a National Security Council staff member involved in the clandestine sale of weapons to Iran, which served to encourage the release of U.S. hostages from Lebanon. North formulated the second part of the plan: diverting proceeds from the arms sales to support the Contra rebel groups in Nicaragua (funding to the Contras had been prohibited under the Boland Amendment amidst widespread public opposition in the U.S. and controversies surrounding human rights abuses by the Contras).

Here is a detailed chronology of the events of the Iran-Contra scandal(also from Wikipedia):

North came into the public spotlight as a result of his participation in the Iran-Contra affair, a political scandal of the late 1980s, in which he claimed partial responsibility for the sale of weapons via intermediaries to Iran, with the profits being channeled to the Contras in Nicaragua. He was reportedly responsible for the establishment of a covert network, which aided the Contras. The Boland Amendment (to the House Appropriations Bill of 1982 and subsequent years) prohibited the appropriation of U.S. funds by intelligence agencies for this purpose at that time, thus the search for alternative funding sources. Funding was facilitated by funneling money from his shell organization, the "National Endowment for the Preservation of Liberty," through Palmer National Bank of Washington, D.C. to the Contras.

According to the National Security Archive, in August 23, 1986 e-mail to National Security Advisor John Poindexter, Oliver North described a meeting with a representative of Panamanian Dictator Manuel Noriega: "You will recall that over the years Manuel Noriega in Panama and I have developed a fairly good relationship," North writes before explaining Noriega's proposal. If U.S. officials can "help clean up his image" and lift the ban on arms sales to the Panamanian Defense Force, Noriega will "'take care of' the Sandinista leadership for us."

North told Poindexter that Noriega could assist with sabotage against the Sandinistas and supposedly suggested that Noriega be paid one million dollars in cash, from "Project Democracy" funds raised from the sale of U.S. arms to Iran—for the Panamanian leader's help in destroying Nicaraguan economic installations.

In November 1986, as the sale of weapons was made public, North was dismissed by President Ronald Reagan, and, in July 1987, he was summoned to testify before televised hearings of a joint Congressional committee that was formed to investigate Iran-Contra. The image of North taking the oath became iconic, and similar photographs made the cover of Time and Newsweek, and helped to define him in the eyes of the public. During the hearings, North admitted that he had lied to Congress, for which, among other things, he was later charged. He defended his actions by stating that he believed in the goal of aiding the Contras, whom he saw as freedom fighters, and said that he viewed the Iran-Contra scheme as a "neat idea". North admitted shredding government documents related to his Contra and Iranian activities, at William Casey's suggestion, when the Iran Contra scandal became public. He testified that Robert McFarlane had asked him to alter official records to delete references to direct assistance to the contras and that he had helped.

North was tried in 1988 in relation to his activities while at the National Security Council. He was indicted on sixteen felony counts, and, on May 4, 1989, he was initially convicted of three: accepting an illegal gratuity; aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry; and ordering the destruction of documents via his secretary, Fawn Hall. He was sentenced, by U.S. District Judge Gerhard A. Gesell on July 5, 1989, to a three-year suspended prison term, two years' probation, $150,000 in fines, and 1,200 hours community service.

However, on July 20, 1990, with the help of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), orth's convictions were vacated, after the appeals court found that witnesses in his trial might have been impermissibly affected by his immunized congressional testimony.

Because North had been granted limited immunity for his Congressional testimony, the law prohibited the independent counsel (or any prosecutor) from using that testimony as part of a criminal case against him. To prepare for the expected defense challenge that North's testimony had been used, the prosecution team had—before North's congressional testimony had been given—listed and isolated all of its evidence.[citation needed] Further, the individual members of the prosecution team had isolated themselves from news reports and discussion of North's testimony. While the defense could show no specific instance in which North's congressional testimony was used in his trial, the Court of Appeals ruled that the trial judge had made an insufficient examination of the issue. Consequently, North's convictions were reversed. The Supreme Court declined to review the case. After further hearings on the immunity issue, Judge Gesell dismissed all charges against North on September 16, 1991, on the motion of the independent counsel. Allegations were made, most notably by the Kerry Subcomitee, that North and other senior officials created a privatized contra network that attracted drug traffickers looking for cover for their operations, then turned a blind eye to repeated reports of drug smuggling related to the contras, and actively worked with known drug smugglers such as Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega to assist the contras.Most Contra associates found guilty of trafficking by the Kerry Committee were involved in the supply chain (ostensibly for "humanitarian goods," though the supply chain was later found to have serviced the transport of arms), which had been set up by North. Organizations and individuals involved in the supply chain under investigation for trafficking included the company SETCO (operated by large-scale trafficker Juan Matta-Ballesteros), the fruit company Frigorificos de Puntarenas, rancher John Hull, and several Cuban Exiles; North and other US government officials were criticized by the Kerry Report for their practice of "ticket punching" for these parties, whereby people under active investigation for drug trafficking were given cover and pay by joining in the Contra supply chain. In addition to the Kerry Committee's investigation, the Costa Rican government of Nobel-Prize winner Óscar Arias conducted an investigation of Contra-related drug trafficking, and as a result of this investigation, North and several other US Government officials were permanently banned from entering Costa Rica. North has consistently denied any involvement with drug trafficking, stating on Fox's Hannity and Colmes, "...nobody in the government of the United States, going all the way back to the earliest days of this under Jimmy Carter, ever had anything to do with running drugs to support the Nicaraguan resistance."

It seems the Iran-Contra scandal could play a role in the unfolding of the newly confirmed Zombie Campaign. Syndicate mentioned in his video that, given this guys past, perhaps he could play a role in distributing wonder weapons in the post-apocalyptic earth?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OLIVER NORTH IS NOT A CONFIRMED CHARACTER

DANNY TREJO IS NOT A CONFIRMED CHARACTER

NO ONE IS A CONFIRMED CHARACTER\

CAMPAIGN FOR ZOMBIES IS NOT CONFIRMED

There is alot of confusion recently dealing with a CVG article, it was pure speculation and no where near confirmed fact.

I have a feeling Oliver North may be a key figure in the Black Ops 2 campaign. As Treyarch's advisor for the cold war section of the campaign, I definitely see him in the game. He was at the center of the whole Iran-Contra scandal, which was the major black operation of the 80's.

If he's a character in the campaign, there is a possibility he may show up in zombies the same way JFK, Nixon, McNamara, and Castro did for Five.

Although I would hope not! IMO, he is a disgrace to America's core values, and he should have been hung for his treason.

Regards,

- Mix

• Administrators

If it's posted on E3s website why wouldn't it be confirmed?

I'm pretty sure it is not on E3's site, it's on CVG, ComputersandVideoGames. If it is on E3's however, I'd love to see the link.

You guys forget the part of syndicate's video where he goes on twitter and clicked on one of the official treyarch guys (I think Reza he said was the name) who is the producer of zombies. Reza had posted something on twitter saying E3 2012 most anticipated black ops 2 and then put the link to CVG. If this is the case, and he knew what information this article contained, wouldn't it be somewhat obvious proof that it is confirmed? Why would a zombies producer post fake information on his twitter.

Oh I know someone is gonna say "Maybe all the campaign parts of the article were official and the zombies isn't." But if that were the case wouldn't he have put like "the zombies section of that article is misleading/fake information," as a forewarning? Be logical guys also remember all the screenshots of the diner with Fidel Castro? Would make sense for the others from five to return as well since as Castro was with them.

Edit: It also says it at the top of the website CVG that it's covering E3.

You guys forget the part of syndicate's video where he goes on twitter and clicked on one of the official treyarch guys (I think Reza he said was the name) who is the producer of zombies. Reza had posted something on twitter saying E3 2012 most anticipated black ops 2 and then put the link to CVG. If this is the case, and he knew what information this article contained, wouldn't it be somewhat obvious proof that it is confirmed? Why would a zombies producer post fake information on his twitter.

Oh I know someone is gonna say "Maybe all the campaign parts of the article were official and the zombies isn't." But if that were the case wouldn't he have put like "the zombies section of that article is misleading/fake information," as a forewarning? Be logical guys also remember all the screenshots of the diner with Fidel Castro? Would make sense for the others from five to return as well since as Castro was with them.

Edit: It also says it at the top of the website CVG that it's covering E3.

:o Your SO right! Nice contribution.... My friend I think you just proved the legitimacy of the return of Nixon,JFK, possibly Trejo, and the Zombie Campaign. Congrats [brains]

[

Image ]

I have a feeling Oliver North may be a key figure in the Black Ops 2 campaign. As Treyarch's advisor for the cold war section of the campaign, I definitely see him in the game. He was at the center of the whole Iran-Contra scandal, which was the major black operation of the 80's.

If he's a character in the campaign, there is a possibility he may show up in zombies the same way JFK, Nixon, McNamara, and Castro did for Five.

Although I would hope not! IMO, he is a disgrace to America's core values, and he should have been hung for his treason.

Regards,

- Mix

It's not treason when you're taking orders directly from the President. Unfortunatly Reagan's involvment in the Iran-Contra scandal has been whitewashed in the following decades. North in the zombies campaign really only makes sense if Reagan is in it too.

On the topic of Reza tweeting out the link, it was because it contains the ability to vote for the game as best of E3 2012 on the first page.

The Zombies info is clearly speculation by the use of words and terms like "bound to drop in" meaning "We expect them to drop in", "Expect" and the word "Possibly".

Those characters are who CVG expect to be in the game, not who WILL be in the game.

The Zombies Campaign on the other hand, is most likely to happen.

I'm not saying these characters won't make an appearance, I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up too high because it hasn't been 100% confirmed yet.

• Administrators

[

Image ]

Regards,

- Mix

It's not treason when you're taking orders directly from the President. Unfortunatly Reagan's involvment in the Iran-Contra scandal has been whitewashed in the following decades. North in the zombies campaign really only makes sense if Reagan is in it too.

Well I still think it is treason, I kinda have to agree with Mix. According to the judges at the Nuremburg Trial, in 1947 it became international law that a person could no longer say that they were "just following orders" and that everyone has a mind of their own and the decisions they make are held accountable by them.

[

Image ]

Regards,

- Mix

Well I still think it is treason, I kinda have to agree with Mix. According to the judges at the Nuremburg Trial, in 1947 it became international law that a person could no longer say that they were "just following orders" and that everyone has a mind of their own and the decisions they make are held accountable by them.

A good point, but Mix was talking about being treasonous. The Nuremberg trials were about crimes against humanity.

The difference being that basically the entire Nazi high command was actively involved in the "Final Solution" as ordered by their Furher.

Ollie North on the other hand did not commit any crimes against humanity. He was the go between in a "Black Op" worked out between the CIA, and the Nicaraguan Contra's.

Did he commit crimes? Yes he did, but treason? Absolutely not. Hell he was never even brought up on charges of Treason.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending North. He is everything that's wrong with military brass and the Admin he served under was as crooked as a question mark, but calling the man a traitor to his country is not justified.

Black’s Law Dictionary defines “treason” as ”attempting to overthrow the government of the state to which one owes allegiance, either by making war against the state or by materially supporting its enemies”.

That label is reserved for the likes of Benedict Arnold, Robert Hansen, The Rosenbergs and "Hanoi" Jane Fonda.

****Off Topic: I think Reagan would be hilarious in Zombies. He could use his old movie quotes too.

"Well, it looks like it's bedtime for Bonzo" if the silverback or other monkeys are in it.

"It taste like Jelly Beans, Jelly Beans mmmmm" when drinking a perk.

"Mommy!!" (his pet mane for Nancy) when he's surrounded.

"Let's kill one for the gipper"

"Mr. Gorbachev tear down this wall" When he can't afford a barrier.

"Damn Trickle down economics" When he can't afford a gun/perk.

"Well...." when he's out of ammo

As a Matter of Fact, 3ARC I WANT REAGAN IN MY ZOMBIES!!!!

****Off Topic: I think Reagan would be hilarious in Zombies. He could use his old movie quotes too.

"Well, it looks like it's bedtime for Bonzo" if the silverback or other monkeys are in it.

"It taste like Jelly Beans, Jelly Beans mmmmm" when drinking a perk.

"Mommy!!" (his pet mane for Nancy) when he's surrounded.

"Let's kill one for the gipper"

"Mr. Gorbachev tear down this wall" When he can't afford a barrier.

"Damn Trickle down economics" When he can't afford a gun/perk.

"Well...." when he's out of ammo

As a Matter of Fact, 3ARC I WANT REAGAN IN MY ZOMBIES!!!!

Yes!!!! :lol:

On the topic of Reza tweeting out the link, it was because it contains the ability to vote for the game as best of E3 2012 on the first page.

The Zombies info is clearly speculation by the use of words and terms like "bound to drop in" meaning "We expect them to drop in", "Expect" and the word "Possibly".

Those characters are who CVG expect to be in the game, not who WILL be in the game.

I'm not saying these characters won't make an appearance, I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up too high because it hasn't been 100% confirmed yet.

No because then when he tweeted it he would have left a warning like "take the poll here for most anticipated E3 event (or whatever it was), all other information on this page is unconfirmed". Treyarch wouldn't link us to false information. They know what kind of confusion that would cause in the community. Sure Treyarch likes to play with out minds but I draw the line at DIRECTLY giving us false information.

A good point, but Mix was talking about being treasonous. The Nuremberg trials were about crimes against humanity.

The difference being that basically the entire Nazi high command was actively involved in the "Final Solution" as ordered by their Furher.

Ollie North on the other hand did not commit any crimes against humanity. He was the go between in a "Black Op" worked out between the CIA, and the Nicaraguan Contra's.

Did he commit crimes? Yes he did, but treason? Absolutely not. Hell he was never even brought up on charges of Treason.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending North. He is everything that's wrong with military brass and the Admin he served under was as crooked as a question mark, but calling the man a traitor to his country is not justified.

Black’s Law Dictionary defines “treason” as ”attempting to overthrow the government of the state to which one owes allegiance, either by making war against the state or by materially supporting its enemies”.

That label is reserved for the likes of Benedict Arnold, Robert Hansen, The Rosenbergs and "Hanoi" Jane Fonda.

Ollie North was directly helping to fund the Contras which were known for committing many crimes against humanity including use of death squads, torture, use of land mines, and the raping and killing of nuns, just to name a few. He also had a hand in helping the Contras smuggle illegal drugs within US borders at the same time Reagan was waging a War on Drugs. He was trading weapons for hostages with Iran terrorists. His involvement in the shadow government known as The Enterprise, his defying of the Boland Amendment, as well his involvement with Rex 84, not only work against, but work to unravel the U.S. Constitution. I do consider him a traitor to this country, and find his actions of "following orders" to be nothing short of High Treason.

No because then when he tweeted it he would have left a warning like "take the poll here for most anticipated E3 event (or whatever it was), all other information on this page is unconfirmed". Treyarch wouldn't link us to false information. They know what kind of confusion that would cause in the community. Sure Treyarch likes to play with out minds but I draw the line at DIRECTLY giving us false information.

But he wouldn't say that because it wasn't information.

Information and speculation are very different things, what you read was CVG's opinion not solid information.

If it was information it would have been released in multiple interviews, press releases and tons of different articles on large sites. But it didn't, because it isn't info, it's opinion.